Saturday, March 17, 2012

FIBER FINDS

Ah, what a fun day I had yesterday.

I read in my local on-line news a couple weeks ago about the upcoming Smoky Mountain Fiber Arts Festival.  I decided that I really should start taking advantage of East Tennessee fun things before we move to Middle Tenessee. (Who knows when that will be, but at least it gives me an excuse to have some fun, right?)
So I ventured out yesterday morning in spite of the prediction for thunderstorms and was pleased that there were no storms.  AND the festival (well, with the exception of the sheep shearing demonstration) was all indoors, so I'd have been dry anyway.  I must say that the little town of Townsend TN has is a very nice venue for such events.

Well, OK, I guess it's time to get to the fun part.  I did do a bit to help stimulate the economy for some fiber merchants.  I rarely spend top dollar for yarns as most of my knitting is done for the grandchildren, but I had an AHA moment right before I left.  One of my daughters has a birthday next week.  Just enough time to get a scarf knit -- AND scarves don't take lots of yarn, so it's OK to spend $ on small amounts of yarn.
And that's just what I did.  All hand spun and hand dyed.

The hank on the left is an alpaca and silk blend; the center is merino wool, and the one on the right is 100% silk.  I've already started working with the silk; Oh my, such luxury.

Oh, and as far as stimulating the economy, I really made quite a splurge and got something for the "kid in me".
   
 This little guy is the softest Teddy bear you'd ever want to feel -- made of Alpaca wool.  I almost took him to bed with me last night.  But instead perched him in the baby bed that all the grandchildren have now grown almost to big to use.

Some of you who read daughter Anna Maria's blog will recognize the hanging quilt as one I assembled from my maternal grandmother's blocks that I found in my mother's attic.
The quilt hanging over the back of the crib is one that I made a few years ago for the grandchildren to use once I decided that the "antique" quilt needed to be saved as an heirloom.  Hmmm, I wonder which grandchild will cuddle with the new Teddy bear under that blanket.

No comments:

Post a Comment